In March of 1896, good citizens of Orwell, Vermont presented the idea of an organized local library at a Freeman’s Meeting. The attendees readily accepted the notion and appointed 5 trustees. $25 was voted for books and $25 voted for care of the library space. OFL opened to the public on September 5, 1896 with a total of 152 books and 42 government books and pamphlets.
In the year 1919 the family of Ethan M. and Eliza T. Wright provided a new home for the Orwell Free Library. A philanthropic corporation was created for the purpose of maintaining the building. This generous gift continues to serve as the public library in Orwell as well as housing the local Historical Society.
Today, we provide programs, materials and services to area residents free of charge.